Monday, March 15, 2010

Star light, Star bright

My wish has always been to support the dreams I thought were worthy, especially if they were mine, and leave the other ones to others. But unless one is a hermit, that is not the way the cookie crumbles.

In fact, to live in the world of people, one must often support the dreams of others at the sacrifice of one's own. That is, if one is not greedy with time or effort. Since we are individuals our dreams are as varied yet similar as grains of sand on a beach. But still, since the hour glass of our lives never stops flowing toward its eventual cessation, we make choices. We hope they are wise ones but we also know some of those choices will be costly in terms of the one thing none of us can replace. TIME!

That is why equality, health care, love and such are so urgent. One can give away a lifetime before realizing the sand in the glass has almost run out. And, of course, the glass may break, spilling all our time out into the void leaving our dreams stranded.

I was one that gave no thought to the passage of time until now. I wish now I had. What I have now are memories. Some are wonderful, but many are of the sand that slipped through my fingers. Like a fool, I just grabbed another handful, until now it seems I must search continuously for each grain that is left.

Watching the news I find myself screaming "Don't let it slip away!" as the debates let precious sand escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment